Saturday, August 20, 2011

First Week


I don't consider the first days (Wednesday-Friday) as the first week...these are just the first days!  What do you do to start your first week?  I'm not ready to start full-throttle with the assigned curriculum, so I'm sharing the site I love for text that's best for the beginning of the year before everyone is assessed and assigned...

I realize this is a subscription site, but for me it's well worth it.  There nonfiction selection has a wealth of choices.  I uses many of their stories for my 5th grade social studies units (we study American History).

I hope everyone's school year is off to a great start.  This year I have permission from EVERYONE to use their pictures and projects...so watch out...
Pat

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the first days. We do a lot of routine building...this year it'll be geared towards Reader's and Writer's Workshop, I am so excited about it!

    I love Reading A to Z as well. I can't wait to see your pictures of your work with your kids this year :)
    Kristen
    Ladybug's Teacher Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, please, please, please do a longer post about Reading A to Z! I have been stalking it this summer wondering if it will work for me. I'm planning to start guided reading groups this year with my 5th graders, and my school does not have the resources. I was looking for Reading A to Z as a source of books for my groups. My understanding is you can copy them? Any more info you have on the site would be appreciated. I would love to hear from an actual user. At this point, all I know comes from their site.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy...send me your email and I'll send you an example along with more detailed thoughts.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete