Monday, June 27, 2011

The Book Whisper

About 4 years ago I attended a reading conference that highlighted The Sisters and Daily 5.  Up to that point I was one who always enjoyed reading...but never gave much thought to any extended time for my students to read in class.  As I dabbled in the daily 5 I found the one component I enjoyed most was 'Read to Self'.  My students last year were up to 20 minutes of reading, what they wanted, and engaged for most of the time.  The The Book Whisper, so far has been a wonderful affirment of what I'm trying to accomplish.  Yes, I still teach strategies and students know when they're finished with an assignment their choice is read or read (I do have a selection of social studies books & math books for those specific times).

Pat

2 comments:

  1. So glad to have you along with us! I read The Daily 5 for the first time last year and I agree that the 2 books really seem to complement each other.
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment for me today. I'm following you now!
    I LOVE your header and button; it looks like you totally know what you are doing!

    I'm in the first chapter of this book...must go finish so I can join in the discussion!

    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete